Sunday, September 9, 2007

Altered Index Card


I created this altered "index card" for a swap I'm hosting on the Stamp Shack. The theme of the swap is "Notes to my Younger Self." It is inspired by a book I saw on 2peasinabucket.com. The premise is to take a photograph of yourself, when you were younger, and write a letter or note to yourself. It can be a piece of advice or just an observation you've made now, about the person you see in that photograph.

On the front is a picture of me, taken when I was 22 years old. I asked a friend to take a series of pictures of me for my parents. I couldn't afford a professional photographer. I had this lacy dress (which I had purchased to wear on special occasions), and the grounds of Villa Montalvo in Los Gatos, California provided the perfect backdrop. Back then, being as young and inexperienced about life, I did EVERYTHING my parents told me, without hesitation. I was the "perfect daughter," excelling in school, choosing career over anything else, and just being "perfect" in order to earn their love and admiration. In other words, I didn't want to "rock the boat."

My reflection of myself is written on the tag, which is tucked in the pocket on the backside of the card (on the right, in the photo). It says, "Sitting in this photograph is that perfect daughter. Hair done the right way, wearing the perfect clothes, wearing a happy smile. What others don't see is your desire to spike your hair, or to wear it orange and purple. To wear black clothes and to pierce your nose. You want a tattoo, but you're afraid of what your parents and friends might think. If you could do this all over again, I'd encourage you to find a way to be genuine to yourself. If you can't accept yourself for who you are, then there's no reason for others to accept who you wish to become."

The stamps I used on the pocket are by Stampin Up. Some stamps were DTP (direct-to-paper), while the flowers were heat embossed with Seafoam White EP (Ranger).

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Tami Bayer said...

This amazing on all levels, Ethel. I adore your letter to yourself...such fantastic advice. I know this is not an easy project as I'm struggling with mine right now.

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Ethel this is awesome! Truly, it is. I'm just wowed by your crativity, honesty, and openess to share private thoughts in this beautiful art form. I think this would be difficult for me to do but probably a very good thing for me to do! Thanks for sharing. It is beautiful!

maiahs_momma said...

Wow, just beautiful :)! Great job :)!

Michelle said...

This is beautiful, Ethel. I really do love what you wrote to yourself. It is so true.

K Hutchinson said...

This is so beautiful! Love the photo of you! Your pieces are always so inspiring!

Sue McGettigan said...

Ethel this is really great stuff - wonderful journaling, you've come a long way, and I bet your parents are proud of you even without the lacy dress and the 'right' hairstyle!