Wednesday, April 11, 2007

One quilt down....two more to go!

This is a different picture than the one I had originally placed on my blog. I finished piecing and quilting this Queen-size quilt FIVE YEARS AGO! All that was left to do was to add the binding! Aren't I terrible? Well, it was finally finished today! Whew! It's a Thimbleberries design called "Thimbleberries Village." There are 12 separate "patterns" in this quilt. Looking at it now, I can't believe I had the courage to tackle such a huge quilt. I think I was inspired by another quilt I saw at the Quilt Shop, and just had to try it. I took a hand-quilting class last night at the Country Sampler Quilt Shop in Omaha; and the instructor said, "There are 'lookers' and there are 'users.'" Meaning some quilts are meant to be true heirloom quilts, to be passed down generation to generation, while other quilts are meant to be thrown on the bed, and you won't mind it so much if the cat tears up some of the stitches with his claws. I think it's a personal choice, but I do see her point. High-quality quilt fabrics are typically used in "heirloom quality" quilts. When I bought the fabric for this quilt, I had originally intended to use the finished quilt as a wall-hanging. But, alas, we don't have a house with 12-foot walls. LOL! I have learned of another way to display it on the wall, but I think I will just simply fold it nice and neatly, and hang it over the railing in our living room. This is definitely a "looker" quilt which I'll pass down to my son, and hopefully, it will get passed down to my grandchildren.

19 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

OMG Ethel,

This is gorgeous! You did that all by hand???? You have some many talents! I bet it feels really great to finish this project!

~K

shuggy said...

wow. that is incredible.

Pam Speidel said...

It's BEAUTIFUL Ethel...a real heirloom! Congratulations on finally getting it finished! You should feel proud of your great accomplishment. :)

Yvonne said...

That is some fantastic quilt! I'd love to the the others when you show them!

christie said...

How beautiful!! You give me inspiration. I've dabbled a little in quilting but haven't ever done much. Very nice work, I know it must of taken you forever!

Susan said...

Ethel,
This is absolutely stunning! What an accomplishment. And an heirloom to be treasured by generations to come.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Ethel it is so pretty. Also, I love your new title banner thingy.

Cathy said...

Ethel, your quilt is beautiful! A true labor of love...

Anonymous said...

what an awesome heirloom to pass to your son. In 100 yeas time people will still be talking about how clever and crafty you were. (we already know that!!)
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Congrats hon! The quilt looks great. Lucas is going to have a ton of your stuff as heirlooms. I suggest we give some of them to him after college/dorm life (if he elects to go, of course). His buddies may not have the same appreciation of them he will.

I'll work on getting a house with bigger walls. ;-)

Stacy Sheldon said...

This is so cool!
Maybe you can get a quilt hanging thing for the wall too maybe if the next time you move it still doesnt fit on an of the walls flat?

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt it is Beautiful!! I know about taking forever to finish a quilt, I have been working on mine for a few years now.
Conniecrafter

Mary said...

*clap clap clap* Yaaay! You finished it! GOod job Ehtel. It's gorgeous, and I can see all the work that went into it. Great fabric.

Mary

Vintage Papers said...

wowsers! Ethel your quilt is just AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

Wow Ethel, It's WOW, I can't imagine the work you put into this. It's just so incredible.

Anonymous said...

this is AMAZING !!! Well done you !!!
you must be so proud !

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Beautiful! I can see why it took you a long time to complete. I have an incredibly detailed piece of cross stitch (using single strands of colour in some cases) that I still have not finished and it's been nearly 15 years now!

I'm afraid I don't quilt, but I love the look of them, so I cheated recently and bought a quilt from QVC for my spare room. It's gorgeous!

Thanh Vo said...

Wow Ethel! Congrats on finishing that! I cannot believe one petite woman powered through that! lol

Michelle Clark said...

Lord have Mercy, Ethel. This is one fabulous quilt. You are simply an amazing woman. I know Lucas will be so proud to have this in his home someday.

Michelle