Sunday, October 21, 2007

Collage Challenge: ala Teesha style! First Day of the Challenge

I LOVE Teesha Moore's artist pages. That's why I bought the book Mixed Media Collage, yesterday. So, I'm challenging fellow artists/bloggers to try their hand at Teesha's style of collage. I'll try to take you step-by-step on my take of Teesha's style... and let's see where end up with, OK? First you will need the following:

-Cold-press watercolor paper. The heavier the weight, the better it will withstand several layers of paper and glue. (I personally felt comfortable with 140 lb to 300 lb weight paper. I bought the paper at Dick Blick's art supply store.)
-Watercolors. I have several tubes of watercolor. I'm sure you can get away with using kid's watercolors, but the type I have results in a bright finish.
-Watercolor brush.
-Water (duh!)
-Water soluble crayons or pastels. I LOVE these. Teesha Moore recommends these, in the book. You'll understand why, when you try them. They move like but-tah! Easy to apply, easy to blend. Just delish!
- Gel Medium or Mod Podge for gluing down your pieces to the page.
-A really good fashion magazine, or access to royalty-free photo, clip art or paper ephemera.
- Some freezer paper. I like to apply glue to the underside of my pieces while working on freezer paper. This way, my stuff doesn't stick to the table, or leaves a residue on my work surface.
-Sharpie pen. I used extra-fine black, fine-point black and a white fine-point pen by Pen-Touch.

Are you ready to roll? OK.....I took the sheet of cold press watercolor paper and had them cut it down to 8 x 10 sheets:

Wet down the surface of your paper really well, but not soaking wet. Add your watercolor and color your sheet, or give it a "wash." Let the surface dry completely before going to the next step. This will take a couple of hours to dry (at least):

While it's drying, gather up your paper ephemera. All of the images and paper I used on my collage page came from one magazine. You'll want to find strips of paper that range in width from 1/2 inch to 1 inch wide, and in various lengths. You will use these strips for the border of your collage. Don't overthink this step. Just go through your papers or magazine pages and pull out whatever appeals to you:



Let's give everyone a few days to get started. I'll post the next step mid-week. Thanks for taking the challenge with me!

5 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

OMG I love this! Ok I think the only thing I need is the cold press water color paper...I have everything else! I will post a picture of this when I get done!

Erin said...

I think I"m going to play. I don't have a fashion magazine, but I'm always looking for an excuse to get one.

K Hutchinson said...

Ok I am up to speed here is mine :

http://runningonink.blogspot.com/2007/10/teesha-moore-collage-challenge.html

Dymphie said...

Looks cool Ethel. You made me curious to Teesha's book :)

Wendy said...

Hi Ethel. It's so good to find your blog. I enjoyed swaps with you and was always a big fan of your style. ---Wendy (aka Maizie Mom on the PCMB message board). You'll have to check out my blog (although warning: not all posts are craft related!)