Saturday, March 3, 2007

Lost Treasures, Found Objects

As a rule of thumb, I try not to throw anything away. Yes, I'm a packrat of sorts. Using "found objects" in mixed media art not only enhances the artwork, it's a self-fueling desire to partake in the thrill of the hunt. Take this railway token, for example.
You may have one sitting in the attic (or your grandmother's attic). While it may seem "ordinary" in the palm of your hand, it makes for an interesting three-dimensional element on the top of my altered tag. The problem I have is forcing myself to actually use these found objects. Once they're stuck on something.....they're stuck. There's no pulling off and putting it back in my box! Stamp credits: (on the altered library envelope: Lost Aussie Designs); (on the altered tag): Paperbag Studios).

4 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

These tags are wonderful! Your work always has a WOW effect on me!

~K

shuggy said...

you are so good at that vintage look. it's beautiful!!

Babsarella said...

I have the same problem. I have such a hard time using my vintage things. I guess because they can not be reused and I am always afraid I might make a mistake. Love the way you used the bus tokens!!

Jacqueline said...

These are truly amazing...