Saturday, December 13, 2008

I'm pausing...but only momentarily.........

Hello blog friends!!! A lot of you have kindly dropped me an email to ask if I am OK. I appreciate it deeply. I'm very fortunate to have wonderful cyber friends; and I'm very touched that you have been concerned.

Yes...I am perfectly fine. As a matter of fact, I am stupendously terrific!!! I have started working out six days each week, since November 11th. At this morning's weigh-in, I have dropped 14 pounds (almost 6.5 kg) since I started working out on 11-11-08! Can you believe it? I have been averaging a weight loss of three pounds per week. I am not taking any diet pills. I am not doing a 'diet.' This is a complete change in the way I live. I love to exercise, now. I love to eat healthy meals (I eat five - six small meals each day). I keep my calories between 1,200 - 1,500 calories each day, limiting the amount of saturated fat; and increasing water, fiber, and other nutritious food into my meals.

I've joined a website called Sparkpeople. It's an incredible community of folks dedicated to health, nutrition, well-being, fitness. I even belong to a group within Sparkpeople called "Splitcoast Sparkles." It's a group of ladies who love to rubber-stamp, but also love to stay fit and get healthy. Sparkpeople is free to everyone. I use it to track what I eat on a daily basis; and how much I exercise each day. It's easy to use. You just plug in your current weight, what you would like to lose by a certain date, and it will show you how many calories you should eat each day, and how often you should exercise. Moreover, it shows you videos (YouTube) on how to use resistance bands, exercise balls, and other helpful exercises to keep you on the right track.

Because it takes about a month to develop a habit, I've decided to dedicate at least an hour each day, for six days a week, to exercise. And, because it is the Holiday Season, we have been busy attending band/jazz concerts where my son plays percussion. So, I do apologize that I have not kept up with my blog over the past month. My energy has shifted, momentarily, to a brand new healthy lifestyle. I am very happy with my progress so far. Little by little, I will begin to stamp and create again. But, right now, the most important thing I should do for myself is to take care of my health. I am a candidate for diabetes because I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. Also, high blood pressure runs in my family. With these health factors, I can't keep pretending that I've been watching what I've been eating; or that I've been good about exercising. I know I haven't. It's time for BIG changes in my life.

I hope you'll keep stopping by, when you have a chance. I am taking some time off, later this month. I am looking forward, with so much eagerness, to create a ton of cards during that time. I hope, also, that you will check out Sparkpeople. If you have any questions about it, or would like my help with getting you started on that website, feel free to drop me an email at lucabeanba@aol.com. I would be more than happy to help!

Happy Holidays! I hope you and your family are enjoying the blessings of the Season!

6 comments:

Sue McGettigan said...

Good for you Ethel - you'll be feeling so healthy for the start of the New Year!

Sandy said...

Glad you're doing so well, Ethel!!!

Jennifer E. said...

So glad you checked in Ethel. Since your last post mentioned all the Christmas cards you were making I thought maybe your were away trying to get them done. Congrats on the weight loss & developing a routine that works! Happy Holidays!

Thanh Vo said...

As I told you with email - Im proud of what you've accomplished more and I will support you in everything that you do!

Tami Bayer said...

Go Ethel Go! So happy to hear about this very healthy choice you are making. Thanks for all the links. This just may be my birthday resolution. I don't make New Year's resolutions, I make birthday resolutions just a week later than everyone else.

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

WOOO HOOO! You got girl! That is fantastic! You're an inspiration to me. Actually, you are in many ways from your new "lifestyle habits" to your art. Keep in touch when you have a chance. Oh...and I want to hear all about Lucas' band concerts.

Holiday cheer to you and yours!

Jennifer