Saturday, November 8, 2008
I craved Puppy Chow this afternoon. No, not the kind you feed your dog. The kind that's made with chex cereal, chocolate, butter, powdered sugar..... I'll share the recipe in just one second. This recipe yields 9 cups. It can fill four treat bags. I made the reindeer tag using my oval nestabilities, Martha Stewart branch punch, googly eyes, and a few circle punches. I also added some stars (Stampin Up punch) and a star eyelet.
Recipe for Puppy Chow
* 9 cups of Chex Cereal (I used most of one regular size box of Rice Chex)
* 6 oz (1 cup) of semisweet chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
* 1/4 cup of margarine or butter (DO NOT USE SPREAD)
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
(Other: You'll need a cookie sheet, lined with wax paper; and a one-gallon size plastic bag.)
1) Measure cereal into a very large bowl; set aside.
2) Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and margarine or butter in a medium-size bowl, uncovered, on High for one minute. You may need to microwave for an additional 30 seconds until it is easy to stir the butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips.
3) Stir in vanilla.
4) Pour chocolate mixture over the cereal in the large bowl. Gently stir until all of the cereal is completedly coated.
5) Pour chex into the gallon-size bag. Pour powdered sugar over.
6) Seal and shake gently until the chex is coated completely.
7) Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.