Thursday, April 5, 2007

Getting back into quilting

I started quilting some ten years ago. I've made numerous quilts; and with all the hobbies I've ever had, I'll go back and forth between them all depending on my mood. I knit, sew, scrapbook, rubber stamp, garden, crochet......I do a TON of stuff. Recently, my son started learning how to quilt in school. This has rekindled my passion to get back into quilting and finish THREE quilts which I started five - seven years ago. Isn't that sad? Five to seven years ago!!!!!! This is one of the quilts. It is a lap-size quilt, and it is being completely hand-quilted (it was machine pieced). Every once in a while, I will stamp a card or work on another papercraft, but I really do need to devote time into finshing my three quilts. I looked at them again, just the other day, and I'm in love with them now as I was when I first started working on them. Now, you're probably asking why did I put them away and didn't look at them for so long? There are many reasons, the biggest one being moving with the Air Force. The quilts were packed up, shipped to our new destination, and I'd forgotten about them altogether. They were unpacked with the linens, but I really didn't pay attention to them at the time I was unpacking. Every so often, you'll see an update of my quilting progress. This is very exciting for me! I would like to exchange quilt blocks with friends, if I knew they quilted also. Eventually, I'd like to make a wall hanging with quilt blocks from different people. If you are interested in doing a quilt block "swap" with me, feel free to post below. I'd like to make nine blocks, if possible. This would be very manageable, I think. The finished blocks should be 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 (one-quarter inch seam allowance). So, when we're done attaching them in whatever fashion we would like, we would have 8 x 8 blocks.

3 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

Your quilting is beautiful! I wish I could sew...I can't sew a straight line to save my life. I would love to learn to quilt! I can't wait to see your updates!

~K

Thanh Vo said...

I think its amazing that you are all all around/multi-crafty person! I wish i could do it all. Great quilt, Ethel.

Cathy said...

Ethel,
Your quilt is beautiful! I'd love to trade blocks with you, if you don't mind trading with a complete newbie, LOL! I'm still learning! Feel free to email me and we can discuss the details --- maybe even trading something small? I've been experimenting with some projects to learn crazy quilting and I'm itching to get started on a 50"x60" crazy quilt for my studio.